WIP: Laracon 2018
2 minute read
July 27, 2018
Laracon was this past week and it was amazing! Last night I tweeted this out:
I don't know where to begin, or how to fit everything I'm feeling into a tweet, but long story short #laracon was amazing! Meet so many people, had awesome conversations, and learned a ton. Probably will write a blog post, but that's for when it's not late and I'm not sleepy.
So here goes with the blog post. Right now they're just bulletpoints in no particular order and I'll expand on them later.
- It doesn't matter where we come from, we've all got a lot in common
- I wasted far to much time on the fringes of the Laravel community to scared to dip my toe in
- People are nice
- Favorite talk: Samantha's and Adam's because they're most applicable to what I need right now
- Runner ups: TJ, Caleb, Matt
- Now that I feel comfy in the community I need to work on not being scared to ask questions or for help
- I'm starting to realize that folks won't think I'm dumb or don't belong because we've all been there
- I still need to work on talking to people I don't know
Let's start at the beginning and hopefully I'll talk about all of the bullet pojnts above.
This isn't my first Laracon, I went in 2016 to Louisville, KY. Somehow (literally this never happens to me) I recieved a free ticket from Taylor, this was great because otherwise I wouldn't have been able (read afford) to attend. In 2016 I learned a ton from the talks, and had a blast, but was still incredibly nervous about breaking away from the couple of folks I had met and pretty much latched on to. I recognized folks from Twitter, but I came up with a bunch of excuses to not go up and talk to them. That behaviour of mine didn't really change much this time, but more on that later.
That's all for now folks, I'll add more soon!