3 minute read
April 14, 2018
In my latest Larastream, a viewer asked me what my Mac config was like. So I decided to extend that to what I've got at/on/around/in my desk.
Lets start with the most important, my computer.
As a college graduation present my parents were really really nice and gave me access to their Amazon account to buy parts for my own computer. I built a Hackintosh by carefully following the instructions on TonyMacx86.
Here's what went into it:
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH Motherboard
- CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor - All of the speed!
- Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GT 740 2GB 128-Bit
- Some of my co-workers at the time laughed at the "cute" and "little" GPU I picked, but since I am not a gamer and only do minimal Adobe work I thought I could get save a little here and spend some more somewhere else.
- RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit
- 32GB might be overkill but why not?
- SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
- This is the only update I've done to this machine, I started out on a 250GB and when upgrading to Sierra I decided to get a new 500GB so if I messed up I could pop the 250 back in and keep working.
- HD's: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 32 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Bare Drive - ST31000524AS
- I got two of these so I could do RAID 1.
- Power: Corsair RM Series 650 Watt
- Case: Corsair Carbide Series Black 500R Mid Tower Computer Case
- Maybe not the shiniest case but I really like the cable management features built into the case.
- Monitor: AOC 24-Inch LED-Lit Monitor, Full HD 1080p (x2)
- Optical Drive: Optiarc SATA DVD RW Burner Drive
Last fall I decided my 2011 MacbookPro that I got before my first year of college wasn't really cutting it anymore (espically when switching from my desktop to it) so I got the new (and really expensive) MacbookPro 15" with touchbar and all that jazz.
I'm on my desktop 75% of the time, but its nice to have a fast laptop (that keeps a decent charge) for when I travel or go to a local coffee shop to work.
- Mouse: Kensington Expert Wireless Trackball Mouse
- Say what you will about trackballs, I love it and you can't change my mind.
- Keyboard: anidees Prismatic Gaming Mechanical Keyboard
- Still getting used to this keyboard, but so far I really like it!
- Any feedback I've had on this keyboard is on this Twitter Thread
- Mic: Blue Yeti
Other Fun stuff
- Throwback Photo of me at my first computer
- A 4x4 Rubiks cube
- A Touchscreen Raspbarry Pi with my Dashboard
- Knight Bus Lego Set
- Whiteboard for my notes